Transfer Courses and Appeals


Direct Admit Undergraduate Professional Schools 

Edward J. Bloustein School of Planning & Public Policy (EJB)
School of Management and Labor Relations (SMLR)
All transfer students have the right to appeal for a reconsideration of an evaluation of a transfer course.  For information on the academic policies of the Professional Schools, please refer to the Academic PoliciesTransfer courses of various modes of delivery from colleges, universities and schools, eligible to receive federal funding as listed by the US Department of Education, will be evaluated for transferability.

General Transfer

Applicants must state on their application all previously attended institutions of higher learning. The omission or falsification of information may be a cause for automatic dismissal or denial of transfer credit.

Official transcripts from all prior accredited institutions must be submitted before any admission decision is made. Students will receive the maximum allowable credits for transfer (up to 60.0 credits from a two-year institution culminating in an associate degree and up to 90.0 credits from a four-year institution offering a bachelor’s degree). Students having credits from both two-year and four-year institutions may receive up to 90.0 total transfer credits.

Transfer for Holders of Associate Degrees

Any applicant who has successfully completed an associate degree program at any New Jersey County or Community College is eligible for transfer admission.  Students who hold an associate degree in an approved transfer program (Associate in Arts; Associate in Science, and an Associate in Applied Science in Technical Studies as part of NJ PLACE) can transfer all of the credits earned in that degree program to the school conferring the degree, up to a maximum of 60.0 credits (or up to 64.0 if that was already granted by another undergraduate program within Rutgers).  Limits on transfer credits to the undergraduate professional schools include:  no more than 2.0 credits of physical education and no more than 25.0 technical credits.  Only courses with a grade of "C" or better qualify for transfer.  Credits earned beyond an associate degree program will be evaluated for transfer on a course-by-course basis.

An applicant who attended another college after receiving an associate degree is considered under the policy outlined for general transfer.

Students Transferring from New Jersey Community Colleges
Students should first refer to to determine the proper evaluation of any given course offered at a New Jersey County/Community College.  If the transfer evaluation and are in disagreement the student should submit a Transfer Evaluation Appeal Form.  All clerical errors will be corrected promptly and the student will be notified by email. 
If the student is appealing the nature of the evaluation (including NJ County/Community College transfers whose evaluations are incorrectly stated on, they should submit a completed copy of the online Transfer Course Department Evaluation Form and email an attached syllabus of the course in question to  If the department agrees that the evaluation for the course needs to be updated, the student record will be adjusted accordingly within 30 days of receipt of notification from the academic department. will be updated appropriately if necessary.
Students Transferring from Schools Other than New Jersey Community Colleges
Students should submit a completed copy of the Transfer Course Departmental Evaluation Form with an attached syllabus of the course in question to  If the department agrees that the evaluation for the course needs to be updated they will notify the Professional Schools Administrative Support Staff. Upon such written notification, the student's record will be adjusted accordingly.